Enabling Interoperability in Global Meter by incorporating DLMS-COSEM Protocol
Kalkitech December 25, 2023
Customer: US-based multinational conglomerate
- The US-based client operated in several geographies. However, its metering portfolio comprised ANSI meters conforming to the requirements of the North American market. With extensive rollouts of the smart grid in the European Union, the Middle East, and the Asia-Pacific region, the client needed to develop a new line of IEC-compliant meters to gain a foothold in these markets.
- As DLMS/COSEM protocol emerged as a suitable metering communication standard which is taking care of complete metering use-cases & interoperability, the client wanted to implement the same on the meters and offer it as an option with the target of quick time-to-market.
- The OEM wanted the complete implementation to be tested from global agencies such as KEMA. So quick to implement and best DLMS/COSEM Source-Code-Library available in the market was the prime option.
Kalkitech’s solution included the following components:
- Supply of SYNC 500, DLMS server Source Code Library to be incorporated in meters
- Installation of SYNC 500 client source code library along with relevant licenses to be done at PC-based interfaces for enabling monitoring and testing requirements.
- Conducting training program – including detailed sessions of DLMS protocol, SCL, and interfaces for implementation
- Providing hardware and software consultancy services for actual interfacing
- Deploying SYNC 6500 Meter Explorer, DLMS / COSEM meter testing tool, DLMS client driver with OPC-Addon server interface Automating the testing process and providing testing services
- Faster time-to-market and reduced R&D risk
- Bridged knowledge gap and achieved competence through extensive training programs
- Saved costs in the design, development, and testing phases by leveraging Kalkitech’s
expertise in implementing the stack in multiple software and hardware platforms
- Ensured quick testing and validation of DLMS client enabled devices through testing automation & this ensured high testing efficiency.