Performance Optimization and Diagnostics
- System Performance Optimization (SPO)
- Boiler Performance Optimization (BPO)
- Soot Blower Optimization (SBO)
- Combustion Process Optimization (CPO)
- Plant Alarm Diagnostics (PAD)
- Water Chemistry Management (WCM)
System Performance Optimization (SPO)
SPO module analyzes and optimizes the performance of various sub systems in power plant, such as boiler, turbine, condenser, feed heaters, de-aerator and auxiliary equipments. The benefits of optimizing the overall power plant system are maximum thermal efficiency, lowest possible emissions, reduction in total maintenance cost and improved reliability. The SPO modules works in conjunction with other modules like Performance monitoring (Reduced auxiliary Consumption), Soot Blower Optimization (Cleaner Furnace walls and Convective pass) and Boiler Performance Optimization (Reduction in CO and NOx Level). The benefits of SPO are:
- SPO along with BPOS enables complete plant optimization
- SPO covers optimization of turbine, condenser, feed water heaters and de-aerators
- The system recommends controllable parameter settings to optimize the given process operating between 50% and 100% load conditions.
- Overall, SPO assists in operating plant under optimum conditions
Boiler Performance Optimization (BPO)
Boiler Performance Optimization consists of Combustion and Soot Blower Optimization. The key features of Boiler Performance Optimization:
- Continuously tracks the real time efficiency of the boiler system and compares it with the expected boiler efficiency.
- In case of deviations, the system analyzes the root cause for the occurrence.
- It recommends the optimized set points to improve the boiler efficiency and optimize the fuel consumption.
- It reduces NOX emissions, while adhering to CO limitsCombustion Process Optimization (CPO)In order to maximize operational efficiency, the fuel consumption rate should match with the generator steam demand. To achieve this state, air and fuel flow must be controlled. Combustion optimization module optimizes the amount of air required for combustion based on the fuel properties. The module predicts the stoichiometric condition and adds excess air required for the complete combustion. In order to control the air flow, the module will provide the percentage (%) of damper opening set point to PA Fans and FD Fans. Further, depending on the plant demand, CPO module predicts the required fuel flow through fuel property prediction model.The objectives of combustion optimization are:
- Control of NOx to a desired set point
- Balancing of combustion
- Maximization of boiler efficiencyFuel modeling is the first step in combustion optimization, which determines the properties of fuel in real time. Fuel modeling is done with historical data from plant by adopting neural network methodology. Historical data is further used for calculating the quantity of theoretical and excess air required for complete combustion. The calculated data provides the inputs for improving combustion efficiency and minimizes the fuel consumption.
Soot Blower Optimization (SBO)
Soot blowing is a necessary boiler cleaning procedure which aims at maintaining or improving the unit’s heat rate.SBO module is specifically designed and developed to compute the level of slag / soot formation in each heat transfer section of the boiler. This module further conveys to the operator section-wise requirement of optimal soot blowing.SBO facilitates assessment of fouling of heat recovery surfaces of the steam generator and recommends selective soot blowing for the fouled sections. This module obtains operating data and provides the information directly to plant controls through closed loop systems.The benefits of SBO are
- The system dynamically determines boiler cleaning actions
- Directs existing soot blowing control systems to take action in real-time to best meet the unit’s key performance indicators.
- It works in conjunction with existing soot blowing control and instrumentation system.
- The system is developed by using adaptive modeling and expert rules
- It then initiates strategic soot blowing sequences to minimize heat rate and process steam loss.
- It continuously calculates the actual heat transfer coefficient of each heat exchanger
- Root Cause Analysis (RCA) in case of process abnormality.
- Decision support (DS) on corrective actions for process operation and maintenance.
- Time-Critical DS for alternative actions.
- Alkalinity of boiler water (maintaining pH)
- Specific conductivity of boiler water
- Cation conductivity
- Sodium level in boiler water
- Ammonia content
- Phosphate content
- Silica level