Dispatch Operations of Power System
The Load Dispatch Centre (LDC) is an important link between generation, transmission & distribution, to co-ordinate the power requirements of electricity consumers. LDC and in some geographies Independent System Operator (ISO) performs various functions such as load-generation balance, quality of supply, scheduling of generating units and transmission lines, economic load dispatch, load forecasting or demand estimation, system security and islanding facility, black start preparedness, energy distribution and load pattern study, communication and SCADA management, event analysis and preventive measures and coordination with neighboring regional grids for ensuring a mechanism for safe and secure grid operation. In order to keep up with the evolving requirements and complexity of functions, central supervisory control is being gradually replaced by intelligent distributed control of the system
Dispatch Operations of Power System (DOPS) Module of ELTRIX empowers system operators with an effective tool to perform various business and operational functions like monitoring and enforcing grid code compliance by constituents, optimally schedule dispatch operations, contingency management, forecasting, energy accounting and billing. DOPS has the capability to support operations of various deregulated and regulated markets by means of standard information modules, rule & work flow management, and model based interfaces supported by ELTRIX platform.
As required under the regulatory guidelines, all the generating stations in the region send their declared capacity a day ahead to LDC/ ISO. State Load Dispatch Centre (SLDC) collects the details of entitlement from Regional Load Dispatch Centre (RLDC) for the generating stations under the purview of RLDC. After verifying the quantum of approved intra state open access, SLDC checks the Power/ energy exchange schedules. SLDC calculates the entitlement depending upon the allocation notified by government/ regulatory commission and quantum of power available from transmission system for individual distribution companies. This entitlement is sent to the distribution companies. Based on its entitlement and load forecast, distribution companies send their requisition of power to SLDC. SLDC calculates the dispatch schedule, drawl schedule & requisition to RLDC based on merit order dispatch logic. Eltrix DOPS module enables all these functions & assists LDC's/ ISO's to carry out day to day operations efficiently without any error.
DOPS Module also automates the Short Term Open Access (STOA) approval process. The issuance STOA approval is subject to the receipt of previous Open Access (OA) charges payable if any by the STOA customer. Additionally, DOPS module calculates & publishes Total Transmission Capacity (TTC) & Available Transmission Capacity (ATC) data to SLDC website.
Regulation Management by ELTRIX Rule Governor
Scheduling, accounting, tariff management, balancing & settlement and operating codes for a load dispatch centre is governed by a set of regulations, which are framed by corresponding regulatory bodies. These regulations may vary over a period of time with amendments, enhancements and new notifications; hence it is necessary to keep the energy accounting intact and also ensure compliance to regulations governing grid operations.
ELTRIX has a rule management system which helps to keep the regulatory part of the logic independent of any software code so that any change in regulations unlike other softwares ELTRIX does not require a new version to support the change. The regulation linked logics are built into ELTRIX as rules and rule sets using ELTRIX Rule Governor, and executed within the rule execution engine as part of the ELTRIX runtime server. Rules can be defined by using intuitive graphics and simple English verbs which can be understood by a domain expert.
ELTRIX DOPS module is designed for ease of use, ease of integration and interoperability requirements. It provides an integrated information system for operators at individual generating unit’s control centre and also for plant management executives.
- Power Analysis with Phasor diagrams
- Supports IEC-62325 and Common Information Model (CIM) for market extension models
- Modeling of sub control area, interchange area, control area hierarchy ,service & tie points as well as metering in compliance with CIM
- Interfacing with SCADA/ EMS and Energy meter data acquisition systems on industry standard interfaces like IEC-61970 , IEC-61968-9 and ICCP type of interfaces.
- Special Validation and Substitution for Meter Data (also support custom rules)
- Real-time Monitoring of the Power Dispatch Scenario within the Control Area and also interchanges with Host Control Area
- Flexible rule integration and work flow creation for approval mechanism, calculation of entitlement and surplus addition
- Regulatory logic by using Rule Engine which is accessible to ISO experts on regulation.
- Alarms on regulatory non-compliance and deviations
- Web based interface for monitoring, reporting, analysis and work flow interactions required by various stake holders is available through ELTRIX decision portal
- Interface available with Extract Transform Load (ETL) functions to support multiple sources and modes of inputs from third party as well as for extracting schedule and drawl details
- Trend analysis of critical parameters like UI and frequency.
- Publishing of surplus energy on the website for entity to buy or trade on daily basis
- Standard reports such as daily maximum demand comparison, percentage deviations in schedule, grid frequency profile, voltage analysis, Weekly/ Monthly/ Yearly reports and state energy accounting as well as user configurable reports
- Standard & user configurable dashboards
Following are the major components of ELTRIX platform which is common across all the modules:
ELTRIX Engineering Editor
It is a rich client interface which allows the user to model and configure interchange, operating & sub-control area for LDC/ ISO and associated metering & measurement functions. Associated financial operations, market operations, validation settlement & reconciliation and scheduling models are configured for accounting & tariff calculation. Rule Governor within Eltrix Engineering Editor provides an interface for domain experts to configure regulatory logic, and helps to manage any changes in regulations. Work flow sub-component enables the users to build process/ business work flow needed for plant operations.
ELTRIX Runtime Server
It is the server component which performs real time data update, objects storage & retrieval of data, tariff & accounting computations, rule & work flow execution. It has an OPC UA/ DA communication driver used for interaction with meter data acquisition system, also manages interactions with a power exchange or LDC/ ISO over a TCP/ IP or web service transportation layer.
ELTRIX Decision Portal
It is the end user interface for plant operators or managers to visualize & analyze the KPIs, accounting/ tariff reports and generation trends & charts. It delivers a rich set of analytics and helps to track KPIs. Support of web 2.0 technology makes it possible to deliver time critical information over a standard web client. User can generate daily, weekly, monthly, shift wise reports for different details available in solution like meter data, tariffs, energy exported & energy imported.
- Implementation and vigilance of regulations and grid code
- Accounting & Tariff Management
- Reconciliation and settlement validations
- Management of open access and bilateral exchanges
- Implementation of optimal schedules for energy drawl and generation
- Re-scheduling on contingencies
- Intelligent System Security